Arch Linux Pro Audio

The Arch Linux Pro Audio Community

Possible to use Jack with Alsa and FFADO?

Home Forums Help Possible to use Jack with Alsa and FFADO?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  schivmeister 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

phunni

I’ve been trying to set up my M-Audio Firewire Solo and Arch and appear to have them working inasmuch as I can see that something is recorded in Ardour through the FS.

I have, however, no sound at all. I’ve heard that this can be an issue with the FS, but, initially, I’m assuming this is a Jack connection issue. When I use the ffado or firewire backend to jack (I assume those are actually the same backend really?) I only have the firewire outputs to route any output to. What I want to do, for the moment at least, is route the master outputs of Ardour to my normal Alsa outputs, so that I can hear them through my computer speakers. Is this possible, or are Alsa and FFADO mutually exclusive?

Edit: fixed typo

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  phunni.

phunni

It turns out it is possible, Lots of googling later I discovered that, if I run:

jack_load audioadapter

after starting jack, it adds an adapter called “audioadapter” to the connection options which mps to the Alsa audio input and output. Which means I can record via my Firewire Solo, but listen to the output via Alsa – as I wanted 🙂

schivmeister

Glad you resolved this yourself. Indeed, the flexibility and possibilities for routing audio is the highlight of jack, so if you couldn’t do it, there must be a problem. Monitoring and capturing devices can certainly be different.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.